MINUTES OF THE MCPHERSON USD 418 BOARD OF EDUCATION MEETING FOR MONDAY, August 26, 2019
(Today’s Minutes of the Meeting is SPONSORED by CrossDove Writers)
BOARD BRIEFS for USD 418:
Board Members Present:
Jeff Johnson, Chris Wiens, Brad Berg, Alan Burghart, Kim Janzen, Brian Kynaston
Board Member Absent:
USD 418 Administrators Present:
Superintendent Gordon Mohn, Director of Finances & Human Resources Kirby Fadenrecht, Assistant Superintendent Shiloh Vincent, Director – Curriculum & Instruction Brandi McWilliams, Facilities Director Sheldon Anderson, Director of McPherson County Special Education Cooperative Melissa Strathman, Eisenhower Principal – Cody Rierson, Washington Principal – Jill Beam, Eisenhower Principal – Chris Allen, Roosevelt Principal – Todd Beam, Middle School Principal – Brandon Simmelink, High School Principal – Bryce McFarland
Guests and Media Present:
PRELIMINARIES TO THE MEETING:
- Call to Order – Meeting was called to order at 7:00 p.m.
- Pledge of Allegiance
- Approval of Agenda – Board Action: Brad Berg moved and Alan Burghart seconded to approve the regular and consent agenda with the addition of 7>4 – an agreement with Newton USD 373. Motion carried 5-0.
- Comments from the public – none were made.
GIFTS TO SCHOOLS (BOARD APPROVED the following donations):
- McPherson High School Art Department received a $200 donation from Patricia Pender for art supplies.
- McPherson High School Boys’ Swim Team received a $200 donation from Dr. Ken Cotton.
- Sarah Hendricks (Middle School Teacher) received headphones for students from DonorsChoose.org valued at $309.60.
- Assistant Superintendent/Director of Curriculum Shiloh Vincent and Brandi McWilliams provided information to the Board regarding the training FastBridge (FAST) which was held on August 21 & 22, 2019.
- Human Resources/Finance Director Kirby Fadenrecht reported on 2019 Financial Audit, Work Projects, Time Clock Plus, and Staff Appointment/Business Office Organization.
- Superintendent Gordon Mohn reported on Opening Day Headcount, Principals attending Board Meetings, Piper Jaffray Presentation, and in-town busing.
- Superintendent Search – Discussion was held regarding the superintendent search.
- Use of Construction Manager At-Risk – The Board approved the Facilities Committee’s recommendation to use a Construction Management At-Risk model to address district facility needs.
- Mileage Reimbursement – Gordon Mohn presented information to the Board regarding BOE policy, GAN, Travel Expenses and recommended that the district continue to use the mileage reimbursement rate as established by the State of Kansas.
- Instructional Aides – The Board moved and seconded to authorize up to 38 additional hours per day of instructional aide support at the elementary schools.
- Substitute Teacher Pay – The Board moved and seconded to establish Substitute teacher pay rate at $93 per day effective August 27, 2019.
- Cooperative Agreement with Newton USD 373 – The Board approved the Cooperative Agreement with Newton USD 373 for CTE Course participation.
- The Board approved the presented personnel actions.
- Tuesday, August 27th – First Full Day for Kindergarten
- Friday, August 30th – NO SCHOOL – PreK-12, Collaboration Day
- Friday, August 30th – Bullpup Fall Preview & Staff Tailgate at McPherson Stadium from 3:00 – 9:00 p.m.
- Monday, September 2nd – NO SCHOOL – Labor Day
- Thursday, September 5th – First Full day of Pre-Kindergarten
- Negotiations – Brad Berg moved and Alan Burghart seconded to go into executive session to discuss the proposed Negotiated Agreement with teachers pursuant to the exception for employer-employee negotiations under the Kansas Open Meetings Act, and the open meeting will resume in the board room at 8:55 p.m. Included in the executive session were Board Members and Central Office Administration. Motion Carried 6-0.