MINUTES OF THE MEETING – USD 418 BOE!!
By William for www.mcpherson-county-ks.com
McPHERSON – The McPherson USD 418 Board of Education held a meeting on Monday, September 23, 2019 – these are the ‘MINUTES OF THE MEETING’!!
USD 418 BOARD OF EDUCATION
MEETING FOR MONDAY, SEPTEMBER 23, 2019
Work Session Meeting – 6:00 p.m.
Regular Board Meeting – 7:00 p.m.
Board Members Present: Jeff Johnson, Emily Greer, Brad Berg, Alan Burghart, Kim Janzen, Brian Kynaston
Board Members Absent: Chris Wiens
Administration Present: Superintendent Gordon Mohn, Assistant Superintendent Shiloh Vincent, Director of Human Resources/Finance Kirby Fadenrecht, Director of McPherson County Special Education Cooperative Melissa Strathman, Director of Facilities Sheldon Anderson, McPherson High School Principal Bryce McFarland, Principal McPherson Middle School Brandon Simmelink, Principal Eisenhower Elementary Chris Allen, Principal Lincoln Elementary Cody Rierson, Principal Roosevelt Elementary Todd Beam, Principal Washington Elementary Jill Beam, David Brock
Guests & Media: Doug Moeckel, Brian Jordan, Sue Givens, Dustin Avery
- BOARD WORK SESSION
- The board work session was called to order at 6:00 p.m. During the work session, representatives from the Kansas Association of School Board (KASB) presented information about the services they can provide in a new superintendent search.
- PREMILINARIES TO THE MEETING
- Call to Order
- Pledge of Allegiance
- Approval of the Agenda – BOARD ACTION TAKEN: Brad Berg moved and Alan Burghart seconded the motion to approve the regular and consent agenda. Motion carried 6-0.
- Comments from the Public – Tim Buller suggested selling the district art collection and using the revenue for salaries.
- SPECIAL RECOGNITIONS – None
- GIFTS TO SCHOOLS
- Donation Report – Several USD 418 Schools received gifts/donation and a report was presented to the Board for approval. BOARD ACTION TAKEN: Brad Berg moved and Kim Janzen seconded the motion to approve gifts and grants as proposed. Motion carried 6-0.
- CONSENT ITEMS
- Personnel – Motion to approve the Personnel Report dated September 23, 2019.
- Early Childhood/Head Start Report – Motion to approve the Early Childhood Report for September 2019.
- McPherson High School Activity Fund Report – Motion to approve the McPherson High School Activity Fund Report dated August 30, 2019.
- McPherson Middle School Activity Fund Report – Motion to approve the McPherson Middle School Activity Fund Report dated August 30, 2019.
- Approval of Consent Items – Motion to approve all consent items.
- NEW BUSINESS
- Out of District Travel Request from Sports Marketing Class – Taylor Stucky, McPherson High School Sports and Entertainment Marketing teacher, and members of the class, presented a request to the Board to travel to Oklahoma City, Oklahoma to tour the Chesapeake Energy Arena, attend an Oklahoma City Thunder basketball game and meet with members of the marketing department to learn more about the profession. BOARD ACTION TAKEN: Kim Janzen moved and Alan Burghart seconded the motion to approve the request for the MHS Sports and Marketing Entertainment Marketing Class to travel to Oklahoma City, Oklahoma. Motion carried 6-0.
- Piper Jaffray – Dustin Avey from Piper Jaffray presented information to the Board about the district’s bond indebtedness, reviewed scenarios for possible future bond issues, and presented refinance options that could reduce interest rates for current bonds. BOARD ACTION TAKEN: Brad Berg moved and Alan Burghart seconded the motion to approve Piper Jaffray to begin process to refinance current bonds with formal action to follow later. Motion carried 6-0.
- McPherson Middle School – Brandon Simmelink, Principal at McPherson Middle School, presented a school update to the Board. This was the first of the six building reports which will be presented by principals over the course of the school year.
- Assistant Superintendent Report – Assistant Superintendent Shiloh Vincent reported to the Board on the following – Negotiations update and an upcoming school threat assessment training.
- Superintendent Report – Superintendent Gordon Mohn reported to the Board on the following – Update on New Board Member Orientation, review of the process for negotiations impasse and fact-finding, Horizon Award winners and calendar adjustments.
- OLD BUSINESS – None
- NEW BUSINESS
- Superintendent Search Contract – Board officers recommended that the district secure the services of the KASB to assist in the superintendent search. BOARD ACTION TAKEN: Brad Berg moved and Emily Greer seconded the motion to approve a contract with the Kansas Association of School Boards for superintendent search services. Motion Carried 6-0.
- ROUTINE ITEMS
- Disposition of Minutes – Motion to approve the minutes of the September 9, 2019 Board of Education Meeting.
- Approval of Routine Items – Motion to approve routine items. BOARD ACTION TAKEN: Brad Berg moved and Alan Burghart seconded the motion to approve routine items. Motion Carried 6-0.
- CONCLUSION OF MEETING ITEMS
- Next Meeting Possible Items – McPherson Curriculum Council Bylaws; Training for Capturing Kids Hearts Teacher Training; Calendar Revision of 2nd Semester Parent-Teacher Conferences at McPherson Middle School.
- Future Meeting Suggested Items – Mileage Reimbursement Policy (Oct. 14); Review of Committee Assignments (General Meeting); Board Policy Review; Annual Board Agenda; Selection of CMAR Company (November 11).
- Announcements – Kansas Municipal Utilities at 2090 East Avenue A; Board of Education Meeting for October 14, 2019; Board of Education Meeting for October 28, 2019; October 18, 2019 – NO SCHOOL – Flexible Teacher Worday; Week of October 21st – Parent/Teacher Conferences; Thursday, October 24th and Friday, October 25th – NO SCHOOL.
- Board Member Items – Time reserved for Board conversation.
- EXECUTIVE SESSION
- Executive Session, Personnel – Brad Berg moved and Alan Burghart seconded the motion to go into executive session to address an employee concern pursuant to the non-elected personnel exception under the Kansas Open Meetings Act, and the open meeting will resume in the board room at 9:05 p.m. The Executive Session included the Board and Central Office Administrators. Motion Carried 6-0.
(Check us out at www.facebook.com/mcphersoncountyks/)
(These postings need SPONSORS, $10/week – inquiry/information at firstname.lastname@example.org)