MINUTES OF THE MEETING – USD 418 BOE – OCT. 14!!
By William for http://www.mcpherson-county-ks.com
McPHERSON – The McPherson USD 418 Board of Education held a meeting on Monday, October 14, 2019 – these are the ‘MINUTES OF THE MEETING’!!
USD 418 BOARD OF EDUCATION
MEETING FOR MONDAY, OCTOBER 14, 2019
Regular Board Meeting – 7:00 p.m.
- Jeff Johnson, Emily Greer, Brad Berg, Chris Wiens, Kim Janzen, Brian Kynaston
- Alan Burghart
- Superintendent Gordon Mohn, Assistant Superintendent Shiloh Vincent, Middle School Principal Brandon Simmelink, Middle School Assistant Principal/Activities Director Inge Esping, Senior High School Principal Bryce McFarland
PREMILINARIES TO THE MEETING:
- Call to Order – The meeting was called to order at 7:00 p.m.
- Pledge of Allegiance
- Approval of the Agenda – Board Action: Brad Berg made a motion and Chris Wiens seconded the motion to approve the regular and consent agenda with item 4.3 (Policy Revision) being moved to new business. Motion was approved 6-0.
- Comments from the Public – Tim Buller suggested selling the district art collection and using the revenue for salaries. Rob Mackey shared information about the Dolly Parton Imagination Library.
- Horizon Award Recipients – McPherson Public Schools recognized Jenessa Maldonado and Mike Walline as the district’s Horizon Award nominees. The Horizon Award goes to exemplary teachers who are entering their second year of teaching.
GIFTS TO SCHOOL:
- Donation Report – Several USD 418 Schools received gifts/donations and a report was presented to the Board for approval. Board Action: Brad Berg made the motion and Kim Janzen seconded the motion to approve the gifts and donations report as presented. Motion Carried 6-0.
- Personnel – Motion to approve the Personnel Report dated October 14, 2019.
- PDC Recommendations – Motion to approce the Professional Development Council recommendations dated October 9, 2019.
- Motion to begin the October 28, 2019 Board of Education Meeting at 5:00 p.m.
- Early Childhood Report – Motion to approve the Early Childhood Report for October.
- Approval of Consent Items – Motion to approve all consent items.
> Head Start Governance – David Brock, Director of Early Childhood, presented governance training for the Board.
> Assistant Superintendent Report – Shiloh Vincent reported to the Board on the following – Communications, New Teacher Training, Curriculum and eWalkthroughs.
> Special Education – Melissa Strathman provided a written report to the Board on the following items – Kansas Association of Special Education Administrators (KASEA) and the work the association is doing this year related to special education funding.
> Superintendent – Gordon Mohn reported to the Board on the following items – Revised Board Orientation, Joint Statement about Stadium Use and Community Committee for Facilities.
> Superintendent Search – Board Officers led discussion regarding a tentative timeline for the upcoming superintendent search.
> Student Eligibility – Middle School and Senior High administrators reviewed student eligibility policy and answered questions.
> Mileage Reimbursement – A report about the district’s mileage reimbursement policy was presented to the Board in August. The policy was presented again for discussion and guidance.
- Nothing was available.
- ESL Position – A proposal to add and English as a Second Language (ESL) position at McPherson Senior High School was presented to the Board. Board Action: Chris Wiens made a motion and Kim Janzen seconded the motion to approve the hiring of Angela Martinson as an ESL Teacher at McPherson Senior High School. Motion Carried 6-0.
- Bond Refinancing: Dustin Avey and Piper Jaffray presented a refinancing proposal to the Board. Board Action: Brad Berg made a motion and Chris Wiens seconded the motion to adopt Resolution # 10142019 authorizing the refinancing of bonds as presented. Motion Carried 6-0.
- Policy Revision – A proposal to amend policy GAS to add maintenance staff to the list of employees in the district who are reimbursed for use of their personal cell phones. Board Action: Brad Berg made the motion and Brian Kynaston seconded the motion to approve the revision of Board Policy – GAS – Cell Phones/Smart Phones. Motion Carried 6-0.
- Disposition of Minutes – Motion to approve the minutes of the September 23, 2019 Board of Education Meeting.
- Clerk’s Report – Motion to approve.
- Treasurer’s Report – Motion to approve.
- Payment of Bills (Brad Berg / Brian Kynaston) – Motion to approve.
- Approval of Routine Items – Motion to approve routine items. Board Action: Brad Berg made the motion and Chris Wiens seconded the motion to approve routine items. Motion Carried 6-0.
CONCLUSION OF MEETING ITEMS:
- Next Meeting Possible Items – Audit Report from SJHL, KASB New Board Member Orientation – 6:00 p.m.
- Future Meeting Suggested Items – Review of Committee Assignments (GM), Board Policy Review, Annual Board Agenda, Selection of CMAR Company (November 11).
- Announcements – Friday, October 18, 2019 – NO SCHOOL – Flexible Teacher Workday. Week of October 21st – Parent/Teacher Conferences. Thursday, October 24, 2019 and Friday, October 25, 2019 – NO SCHOOL. Monday, October 28, 2019 – Board of Education Meeting at 5:00 p.m.
- Board Member Items – Time reserved for Board conversation.
- Executive Session – Negotiations. Brad Berg moved and Chris Wiens seconded the motion that the Board go into executive session to discuss the proposed Negotiated Agreement with teachers pursuant to the exception for employer-employee negotiations under the Kansas Open Meeting Act, and the open meeting will resume in the board room at 9:45 p.m. Included in the executive session were Board Members and Central Office Administration. Motion Carried 6-0.
- The Board returned to open session at 9:45 p.m.
- Brad Berg moved and Chris Wiens seconded the motion that the Board go into executive session to discuss the proposed Negotiated Agreement with teachers pursuant to the exception for employer-employee negotiations under the Kansas Open Meeting Act, and the open meeting will resume in the board room at 10:00 p.m. Included in the executive session were Board Members and Central Office Administration. Motion Carried 6-0.
- The Board returned to open session at 10:00 p.m.
- Jeff Johnson declared the Board Meeting adjourned at 10:01 p.m.
(Check us out at www.facebook.com/mcphersoncountyks/)