SMOKY VALLEY LADIES HOPE TO CHURN OUT STRONG SEASON!!
By William for www.mcpherson-county-ks.com
LINDSBORG – While they doubled their wins from the previous season, the 2018-19 season for the Smoky Valley girls’ basketball team only managed four wins as they worked on rebuilding a down program in the image of a new coach.
The 2019-20 season is upon us and second-year Lady Viking Head Coach Larry Van Der Wege is determined to continue the rebuilding process with hopes of making a big jump in the number of victories the process will bring to the Smoky Valley faithful.
Here is our look ahead for the 2019-20 Lady Viking basketball program:
WHO DOES NOT RETURN THIS SEASON?
- Kira Haxton who earned All-Central Kansas League Honorable Mention honors.
- Lana Clark
- Lindsey Gerlach
WHO DOES RETURN?
- Starter – Ellie Brumbaugh, a five-foot-three junior who earned All-CKL Honorable Mention while averaging 7.2 points per game and connecting on 31% of her three-point shot attempts.
- Starter – Kerington Haxton, a five-foot-five junior who earned All-CKL Honorable Mention while averaging 6.5 points per game along with 5.4 rebounds per game.
- Letter Winner – Ashlyn Bryant, a five-foot-four senior who averaged 3.6 points per game.
- Letter Winner – Kaylie Ryan, a five-foot-nine senior who averaged 1.2 points and 2.2 rebounds per game.
- Letter Winner – Claire Broxterman, a five-foot-nine junior who averaged 2.9 points and 3.3 rebounds per game.
NEWCOMER(S) THAT MAY SEE PLAYING TIME?
No players were mentioned.
WHAT DOES COACH LARRY VAN DER WEGE BRING TO THE BENCH?
- Coach Van Der Wege is beginning just his second season overall and as a head coach of the Lady Vikings.
- Last season Coach Van Der Wege directed the Lady Vikings to a 4-16 record overall and 2-6 in Central Kansas League games.
- The Lady Vikings did not make the state tournament in 2019.
WHAT COACH LARRY VAN DER WEGE SAYS ABOUT THE UPCOMING 2019-20 LADY VIKING SEASON?
- On the season in general – “My coaching staff and I are excited to begin this, our second season as last year was spent building the base of the program we want and now we can start to improve upon it.”
- When talking about the team itself – “Our girls doubled the win total from the previous year and started to move the program in the right direction. We will need some girls without much varsity experience to step up this year, but I think they have that ability. Our junior varsity team was 14-4 last season and a number of those players will be key contributors to our varsity this season.”
- The Central Kansas League – “We have a very talented league, as there are some girls that are all-state contenders. Each season there are one or more teams that make the state tournaments. I would anticipate that this year wouldn’t be any different as Nickerson, Haven, Halstead, Hesston and Pratt are all perennial powers and all will have some very talented girls playing.”
WHEN DOES THE SEASON BEGIN?
- The Smoky Valley Lady Vikings will begin their 2019-20 season on Friday, December 6, when they will open the season on the road at Abilene.
(Check us out at http://www.facebook.com/mcphersoncountyks/)
(Post is SPONSORED by CrossDove Writers)