STONE, STUCKY NEED TO LEAD ELYRIA EAGLES!!
By William for www.mcpherson-county-ks.com
ELYRIA – For the first time in several seasons the Elyria Christian boys’ basketball team will be looking at a major rebuilding job as they head into the 2019-20 season without five of the top seven players from a season ago.
The new season will be the first in four years without Aidan Fields, Caleb Froese and Tyler Huxman, who along with support players like Jonah Nelson and Cross Allen have graduated and moved on, leaving the Eagles without several key cornerstone pieces to the recent team successes.
Eagle Head Coach Zach Goodrich will be leading the youngest team in a while at Elyria.
Here is our look ahead for the 2019-20 Elyria Christian Eagle boys’ basketball program:
WHO DOES NOT RETURN THIS SEASON?
- Caleb Froese
- Aidan Fields
- Tyler Huxman
- Jonah Nelson
- Cross Allen
WHO DOES RETURN?
- Starter – Zach Stucky, a five-foot-eight junior who averaged 6.2 points, 2.3 rebounds and 2.0 assists in 2018-19 while shooting 47.3% from the field.
- Starter – Jackson Stone, a six-foot senior who averaged 4.6 points and 3.8 rebounds per game last season while hitting 45.3% of his shots.
- Gage Schneider, a six-foot-three senior.
- Bret Anderson, a six-foot-one junior.
- Josef Hobson, a five-foot-eight junior.
NEWCOMER(S) THAT MAY SEE PLAYING TIME?
No players were mentioned.
WHAT DOES COACH ZACH GOODRICH BRING TO THE BENCH?
- Head Coach Zach Goodrich will in his fourth season as leader of the Elyria Christian boys’ basketball program.
- Elyria Christian junior varsity coach will be Tim Willis.
- In 2018-19, the Elyria boys finished 15-7 and were regular season co-champions in the Wheat State League before losing in the Class 1A regional semi-finals.
- Coach Goodrich has recorded a 52-18 record in his first three seasons.
WHAT COACH ZACH GOODRICH SAYS ABOUT THE UPCOMING 2019-20 EAGLE SEASON?
- Ask Coach Zach Goodrich what he knows about the upcoming season and he replied, “We will have to learn how to play basketball together. We know it will be a learning year, and it our success will depend on how fast our younger guys can catch on to what we are trying to do. There is not a lot of varsity experience returning for us, so we will have to learn fast and see what we do well. This will be the youngest team we have had in the last four seasons with only two seniors on the roster and having graduated some cornerstone pieces in the Eagle program.
- When talking about what they need to do in order to find success in the 2019-20 season, Coach Goodrich concluded his pre-season reflections by saying, “We need to do the fundamental things on both ends of the floor. Offensively it will be getting the right shot, setting good screens and making solid passes. We will start with the basics in the preseason, and work to improve those areas throughout the season. Defensively, playing defense without fouling will be a priority along with learning where we need to be in relation to the ball and figuring out helping each other on rotations. We will have to be sharp and disciplined. Our core returners I believe will help us down the stretch, but we will see what we are made of early in the season as our first five games will be against some talented and well coached teams.”
WHEN DOES THE SEASON BEGIN?
The Elyria Christian Eagle boys will begin that process of rebuilding with live action on Friday, December 6, when they travel to Moundridge to battle the Wildcats.
(Check us out at http://www.facebook.com/mcphersoncountyks/)
(Post is SPONSORED by CrossDove Writers)