VETERAN COACH TAKES HELM OF YOUNG REDSKIN TEAM!!
By William for www.mcpherson-county-ks.com
LITTLE RIVER – The Little River High boys’ basketball program begins a new adventure with the 2019-20 season as they will break in a not so new yet new Head Coach in Wayne Morrow, the current athletic director for Little River USD 444.
We say break in a not so new yet new coach due to the fact that while Coach Morrow will be the new guy on the bench, he has had 27 years of head coaching experience up until the end of the 2008 season.
While Little River loses 60% of their scoring from last season, Coach Morrow does have All-State junior guard Jayden Garrison back to build the very young (the Redskins have no seniors and only three juniors on the roster) team around. Coach Morrow will be looking at the fan base and hoping they understand the youthful team may be a one game or one day at a time work in progress.
Here is our look ahead to the 2019-20 season for the Little River Redskin boys’ basketball program:
WHO DOES NOT RETURN THIS SEASON?
- Jace Garrison, graduated
- Matt Dougherty, graduated
- Brandon Freisen, graduated
- Tyler Dingman, graduated
- Graham Stephens, junior – injured during football and will be unable to play.
WHO DOES RETURN?
- Starter – Jayden Garrison, a six-foot-one junior point guard who was named All-Wheat State League first team, named Class 1A All-State.
- Starter – Graham Stephens, a five-foot-ten junior who will not play this season due to an injury during football.
- Trey Rolfs, a six-foot junior.
NEWCOMER(S) THAT MAY SEE PLAYING TIME?
- Keaton Richardson, a five-foot-nine junior.
WHAT DOES COACH WAYNE MORROW BRING TO THE BENCH?
- Head Coach Wayne Morrow will be entering his first season as leader of the Redskin boys’ basketball program but has 27 years coaching experience, having last been a head coach in 2008.
- Last season the Redskins finished 17-7.
- Now currently the athletic/activities director for Little River USD 444.
- Coach Morrow spent 27 years coaching in places such Norwich, Madison, Marysville, Newton, Valley Center and Larned.
WHAT COACH WAYNE MORROW SAYS ABOUT THE UPCOMING 2019-20 REDSKIN SEASON?
- What may be the biggest obstacle to overcome for the upcoming season? Coach Wayne Morrow noted, “We will be very young and short as we have no seniors on the team this season and our tallest player is six-foot-one. Outside of Jayden Garrison, scoring could be a problem early on as we graduated 60% of last season’s scoring and our most athletic player and second leading returning scorer, Graham Stephens, will not be playing due to an injury he suffered at the end of the football season.”
- What are the positives of the upcoming season? A quick answer came from Coach Morrow as he said, “Jayden Garrison! While only a junior, he was the leading scorer last season and is by far the best player we have on the team and is an outstanding offensive player.”
- What needs to happen for this team to be successful? Coach Morrow had plenty to say when ask this question, “We have to give Jayden help on offense because it takes a lot of good players around a top-notch player like he is to still be a top tier ranked team and right now we are nowhere close to that both offensively and defensively. We will be very small, but hopefully quick. At the moment we have three juniors, a not so ready sophomore, and a freshman looking to be our starting lineup plus our first two players off the bench will be a freshman and sophomore. We just need these young kids to step up and take charge, it will take time.”
- As for being back on the bench after an eight-year absence? Coach Morrow concluded his pre-season reflections by commenting on becoming a head coach again after 11 years, “After being a head coach for 27 years in the past, I’m just looking forward to getting back into the gym and working with these kids, knowing we need to change the mentality/tradition of Little River boys’ basketball – something which will be at moments a one-day-at-time process.”
WHEN DO THE REDSKIN BOYS BEGIN THEIR 2019-20 SEASON?
- On Friday, December 6, the Little River Redskin boys’ basketball team will go on the road to open the 2019-20 season with a tangle at Lincoln.
(Check us out at http://www.facebook.com/mcphersoncountyks/)
(Post is SPONSORED by CrossDove Writers)