EAGLES ARE YOUNG, BUT COACHABLE!!
By William for www.mcpherson-county-ks.com
CANTON – Following the success of the Canton/Galva football program could be tough for the Eagle boys basketball team, but Head Coach Shane Duncan feels that despite not many upperclassmen, the kids he has have amazing basketball knowledge and should blend together quickly for a successful 2019-20 season ahead.
Coach Duncan noted that the program will have 20 players out this winter and says that equals out to some solid leadership and quality perimeter shooters to go with returning starters Tyson Struber. Kinser Colgin and Brayden Collins who combined to pull down 15.5 rebounds per game under the basket last year.
Here is our look ahead to the 2019-20 season for the Canton/Galva Eagle boys’ basketball program:
WHO DOES NOT RETURN THIS SEASON?
No players mentioned.
WHO DOES RETURN?
- Starter – Tyson Struber, a six-foot-three sophomore who averaged 9.0 points, 1.5 steals, 8.0 rebounds and 1.5 blocks per game while earning honorable mention honors for All-Wheat State League.
- Starter – Brayden Collins, a six-foot-one junior who averaged 8.5 points and 3.5 rebounds per game.
- Starter – Kinser Colgin, a six-foot-one senior who averaged 7.5 points, 4.0 rebounds and 2.0 steals per game.
NEWCOMER(S) THAT MAY SEE PLAYING TIME?
- Brayden Minson, a five-foot-eleven junior.
WHAT DOES COACH SHANE DUNCAN BRING TO THE BENCH?
- Eagle Head Coach Shane Duncan is beginning his 8th season with Canton/Galva.
- In 2018-19 Coach Duncan led the Eagles to an overall mark of 6-15.
WHAT COACH SHANE DUNCAN SAYS ABOUT THE UPCOMING 2019-20 EAGLE SEASON?
- How is your Eagle team coming together by the numbers? Coach Shane Duncan noted, “We have over 20 players on the team this season, so our numbers are solid, and the future looks bright for Eagle boys’ basketball.”
- How do those players shape up to make the Eagles successful? Looking at the team, Coach Duncan added, “I’m excited about the group of kids this upcoming season and feel that while we may be limited on upperclassmen, we have players who are high on leadership.”
- What will the Eagles have to do on the court and in practice for 2019-20 to be a big success? Coach Duncan concluded his pre-season reflections by saying, “I’m very confident with the key nucleus we have returning, but we will have to develop our role players and bench personnel to be successful in the long run. Our underclassmen have high basketball IQ and are solid perimeter shooters so I am confident they will fill the positions quickly. We will want to push the ball and spread the floor a little bit more than we did in years gone past.”
WHEN DO THE EAGLE BOYS BEGIN THEIR 2019-20 SEASON?
- The Eagle boys will tipoff their 2019-20 season on Friday, December 6, on the road in White City, Kansas for a battle with Rural Vista.
(Check us out at http://www.facebook.com/mcphersoncountyks/)
(Post is SPONSORED by CrossDove Writers)