COACH UNRAU SEEKS TO REPLACE THE VOGTS SCORING MACHINE!!
By William for www.mcpherson-county-ks.com
MOUNDRIDGE – The biggest question coming into the 2019-20 season for the Moundridge High boys’ basketball program may be where they will be able to find the offensive scoring to replace graduated Dillon Vogts who took 18.0 points per game with him.
Long time Wildcat Head Coach Vance Unrau, who begins his 33rd season on the bench in Moundridge, has been in these preseason predicaments before and hopes like in the past that the coaching staff can muster together a few solid returnees with a bunch of young and inexperienced kids to give the fan base another fun and successful season of Wildcat basketball.
Here is our look ahead to the 2019-20 season for the Moundridge Wildcat boys basketball program:
WHO DOES NOT RETURN THIS SEASON?
- Dillon Vogts averaged 18.0 points per game and was named All-Heart of America.
WHO DOES RETURN?
- Starter – Brady Helms, a six-foot-three senior forward/center who averaged 11.7 points and 6.0 rebounds per game.
- Starter – Daniel Kaufman, a six-foot-one senior forward who averaged 4.4 points and 4.2 rebounds per game.
- Jon Schlosser, a six-foot-one junior forward who averaged 1.7 points and 1.2 rebounds per game.
- Corbin Unruh, a five-foot-eleven junior guard who averaged 2.0 points, 1.8 rebounds and 1.4 assists per game.
- Korbin Wedel, a six-foot-two junior guard/forward.
- Ethan Brandewiede, a six-foot-one sophomore forward.
- Garrett Doherty, a five-foot-eight sophomore guard.
- Joseph Schrag, a five-foot-nine sophomore guard.
NEWCOMER(S) THAT MAY SEE PLAYING TIME?
- Logan Churchill, a six-foot-four freshman guard/forward.
- Landon Kaufman, a five-foot-eight freshman guard.
- Dawson Stucky, a five-foot-seven freshman guard.
WHAT DOES COACH VANCE UNRAU BRING TO THE BENCH?
- Coach Vance Unrau begins his 33rd season at Moundridge.
- Overall record of 502-254.
- In 2018-19 Coach Unrau led the Wildcats to an overall record of 16-9 while they went 5-4 in Heart of America League games.
- In 2018-19 Coach Unrau led the Wildcats to the Class 2A sub-state finals where they lost to Caldwell.
- Previous State Tournament appearances under Coach Unrau were 1989 when they finished as Class 2A runner-up, 2004 when they lost in the first round of the Class 2A tournament, 2012 when they lost in the first round of the Class 3A tournament, and 2013 when they finished third in the Class 2A tournament.
- Moundridge has won six state titles, all at the Class 2A level and including four years straight in 1990, 1991, 1992 and 1993 and then winning again in 1997.
WHAT COACH VANCE UNRAU SAYS ABOUT THE UPCOMING 2019-20 WILDCAT SEASON?
- What may be the most important change to take care of for the 2019-20 season? Coach Vance Unrau noted, “The most important thing we need to do is find a way to replace Dillon Vogt who graduated after averaging 18.0 points per game last season while being named All-Heart of America.
- Who will the Wildcats be counting on coming into the 2019-20 season? When talking about the returnees, Coach Unrau said, “We return a solid inside presence with Brady Helms, Daniel Kaufman and Jon Schlosser. All three are very physical players, good defenders and very strong on the boards. Corbin Unruh will be our only returning player in the backcourt which brings up a huge concern due to our unproven perimeter game. We had also planned on having Collin Kohl on the hardwood this season, but he will not play due to a shoulder injury.
- Who does the coaching staff see as the teams to beat in 2019-20? Coach Unrau and his staff offered these teams up, saying, “In the Heart of America we see Hutchinson Trinity Catholic, Berean Academy, Sedgwick and Inman as some teams that will be at the top of the league. As for who will be ahead of us on our schedule, Little River, Conway Springs and Hillsboro will be solid opponents as will the always tough teams we will face in the Canton/Galva Tournament.”
- The overall outlook for the 2019-20 season for the Wildcats appears to be what? Coach Unrau concluded his pre-season reflections by adding, “We will go to young and inexperienced players to fill starter and reserve roles and that is a huge concern of mine to say the least. I think that we have some very capable underclassman, but we will be asking them to grow up in a hurry. Defense in the half court and turning it into offense will have to be a priority for us as we get into the season.”
WHEN DOES THE WILDCAT BOYS BEGIN THEIR 2019-20 SEASON?
- The Wildcat boys will tipoff their 2019-20 season on Friday, December 6, in front of the home folks when they play host to the Elyria Christian Eagles.
(Check us out at http://www.facebook.com/mcphersoncountyks/)
(Post is SPONSORED by CrossDove Writers)