EDMONSON, THRASH, FRANTZ & CREWS LED RETURNEES!!
By William for www.mcpherson-county-ks.com
MCPHERSON – When the McPherson High wrestling team takes to the mats on Thursday in El Dorado to open their 2019-20 season, they will exhaling with relief from having to wrestle someone else besides a teammate.
Bullpup Head Coach Doug Kretzer returns a lot of firepower, including six wrestlers who have placed at state either last season or previously, including 2018 State Champion Rhett Edmonson, along with guys like Mason Thrash, Landon Frantz, Landon Crews, Jonah Clarke and Kourtney Craig. Coach Kretzer has even acknowledged that there may be a few freshmen that could break into the varsity lineup, like the Pelnar brothers, Tucker and Treyton.
The word is that the wrestling team has so many wrestlers that they have had to double up space during practice.
Here is our look ahead to the 2019-20 season for the McPherson Bullpup boys wrestling program:
WHO DOES NOT RETURN THIS SEASON?
- Scott Radtke, graduated, wrestled at 160 lbs. where he was the 2018-19 Class 5A State Champion.
WHO DOES RETURN?
- Rhett Edmonson, a senior at 145 lbs. who finished 28-2 in 2018-19, injured at regionals, was 2018 State Champion.
- Landon Frantz, a senior who finished 34-9 in 2018-19 and placed 3rd at state wrestling at 182 lbs.
- Mason Thrash, a senior who finished 34-12 in 2018-19 and placed 4th at state wrestling at 195 lbs.
- Landon Crews, a senior who finished 32-17 in 2018-19 and placed 6th at state wrestling at 126 lbs.
- Landon Vogts, a junior who finished 4-10 in 2018-19.
- Lorenzo Cruzen, a sophomore who finished 19-17 in 2018-19.
- Collin Pearson, a sophomore who finished 15-17 in 2018-19.
- Nate Rogers, a junior who finished 6-14 in 2018-19.
- Neil Raymond, a junior who finished 20-15 in 2018-19.
- Jonah Clarke, a senior who finished 34-12 in 2018-19.
- Kourtney Craig, a senior who finished 25-18 in 2018-19.
- Jonah Scott, a junior who finished 10=10 in 2018-19.
NEWCOMER(S) THAT MAY SEE MAT TIME?
- Treyton Pelnar, a freshman who wrestled previously at 106 lbs.
- Tucker Pelnar, a freshman who wrestled previously at 120 lbs.
WHAT DOES COACH DOUG KRETZER BRING TO THE BENCH?
- Head Coach Doug Kretzer has been with the Bullpup wrestling program for 24 years and has spent the past nine as the Head Coach.
- Bullpup Assistant Coaches for 2019-20 will be Aaron Dibbens, Jerry Bowen, Chandra Engel, and Kaden Kretzer.
- Coach Kretzer is the KWCA Women’s Representative.
WHAT COACH DOUG KRETZER SAYS ABOUT THE UPCOMING 2019-20 REDSKIN SEASON?
- “We will have a very talented and experienced group of wrestlers.”
- “I expect us to be very competitive in our league matches, regular season tournaments and the post-season events as well.”
- “It’s time for the kids to start wrestling someone other than their teammates as they do in practice.”
- “We will be looking to see where we need to get better and the only way to do that is begin meet competition.”
- “We should have the team for another deep run at the regionals and state meets with many returnees at several weights, including at least six who have placed at state either last season or in the past.”
WHEN DO THE BULLPUP WRESTLERS BEGIN THEIR 2019-20 SEASON?
- The Bullpup boy wrestlers will open the 2019-20 season on Thursday, December 5 when they go to El Dorado for an AVCTL Division III dual with El Dorado.
(Check us out at http://www.facebook.com/mcphersoncountyks/)
(Post is SPONSORED by CrossDove Writers)