HOPP RETURNS FOR ANOTHER RUN AT STATE TITLE!
By William for www.mcpherson-county-ks.com
LINDSBORG – The Smoky Valley High wrestling team will be looking at Dax Hopp to provide some much-needed leadership for Head Coach Ben Elliott as they head into the 2019-20 season with many questions to answer.
Outside of Hopp, the top returnees for the Viking wrestlers will be Tanner Luttig, Devon VanFosson, Justice Gardner and Braunson Golden. Beyond those five, Coach Elliott says the numbers are down this winter and the coaching staff will be looking to fill out the weight brackets.
Here is our look ahead to the 2019-20 season for the Smoky Valley Viking wrestling program:
WHO DOES NOT RETURN THIS SEASON?
- No wrestlers listed.
WHO DOES RETURN?
- Justice Gardner, sophomore who wrestled last season at 113 lbs. and finished 21-27 on the season.
- Devon VanFosson, a senior who wrestled last season at 120 lbs. and finished with a 15-21 record for the season.
- Braunson Golden, a junior who wrestled last season at 126 lbs. and finished 19-23 for the season.
- Dax Hopp, a senior who wrestled last season at 170 lbs. and finished 38-11 for the season while placing 2nd in regionals and 6th at state.
- Tanner Luttig, a junior who wrestled last season at 182 lbs. and finished the season with a record of 27-11.
NEWCOMER(S) THAT MAY SEE PLAYING TIME?
- No newcomers listed.
WHAT DOES COACH BEN ELLIOTT BRING TO THE BENCH?
- Viking Head Coach Ben Elliott in now in his 15th season leading the Smoky Valley wrestling program.
- Currently Coach Elliott’s assistant coaches are Adam Lackey, Trevor Whittaker, and Beck Elliott.
- In 2018-19, the Vikings finished dual meets at 5-5 while placing 2nd in the Central Kansas League, 5th at Regionals, and 33rd at State.
WHAT COACH BEN ELLIOTT SAYS ABOUT THE UPCOMING 2019-20 REDSKIN SEASON?
- “We return just two seniors who will have to take over leadership roles.”
- “Our coaching staff has high expectations for seniors Dax Hopp who placed sixth at the 2019 state meet while wrestling at 170 lbs., plus Devon VanFosson who wrestled last year at 120 lbs.”
- “Our numbers are lower, so we are looking to fill weight classes at this point.”
- “The main goal for the 2019-20 season will be to complete hard and get better every week. We return one state placer, so another big goal will be to get some more kids to Salina or Hays in February.”
WHEN DO THE VIKING WRESTLERS BEGIN THEIR 2019-20 SEASON?
- The Viking varsity wrestlers will hit the mats for real on Saturday, December 7, when they tangle at Riley County.
- The Viking junior varsity wrestlers will spend Saturday, December 7, wrestling at Salina South.
(Check us out at http://www.facebook.com/mcphersoncountyks/)
(Post is SPONSORED by CrossDove Writers)