HOPP, LUTTIG HEADING TO SALINA!!
CONCORDIA – Out of six wrestlers competing, the Smoky Valley wrestling team had two that qualified for the Class 4A state tournament after finishing in the top four of their divisions at Concordia on Saturday in the Class 4A regionals.
Dax Hopp, wrestling at 182 pounds and Tanner Luttig, at 195 pounds will both be wrestling next weekend at the Class 4A State Championships in Salina at the Tony’s Pizza Event Center.
Hopp place second for the day by going 3-1 after getting a bye in his first match then beating Domanic Clopton of Hesston and Storm Slupianek of Marysville by decisions before losing the regional championship match to Cale Goodman of Scott Community.
Hopp is now 32-3 for the season.
Luttig took the longer road to qualifying for state as he finished the day 4-1 and had to come through the consolation bracket to take third place. Luttig, now 30-9 for the season, started out with a bye, then won by a fall over Sam Logan of Nickerson before losing by a fall to Hagan Booi of Colby.
Luttig then battled back with a win by fall over Jeffrey Nix of Scott Community before winning by a fall over Colby Mohr of Abilene in the third-place match.
Other Viking wrestlers at regionals were Justice Gardner, Braunson Golden, Richard Zeller and LeRoy Bean.
SMOKY VALLEY WRESLTERS INDIVIDUAL RESULTS:
KSHSAA CLASS 4A REGIONALS at CONCORDIA:
126 lbs. – Justice Gardner (21-18) finished 3-2
- Won by a fall over Tyler Gilchrist of Topeka Hayden.
- Lost by a Fall to William Stroda of Abilene.
- Had a Bye.
- Won by a Decision over Daniel Vines of Concordia.
- Lost by a Fall to Parker Tholstrup of Clay Center.
145 lbs. – Braunson Golden (15-8) finished 2-2
- Won by a Fall over Anthony Carder of Nickerson.
- Lost by a Fall to Justin Wisner-McLane of Chapman.
- Won by a Fall over Taylor Dumas of Clay Center.
- Lost by a Fall to Konnor Griffin of Colby.
160 lbs. – Richard Zeller (4-22) finished 1-2.
- Had a bye.
- Lost by a Fall to Kale Wheeler of Scott Community.
- Lost by a Major Decision to Tyrone Taylor of Hesston.
182 lbs. – Dax Hopp (32-3) finished 3-1 and placed 2nd
- Had a bye.
- Won by Decision over Domanic Clopton of Hesston.
- Won by a Decision over Storm Slupianek of Marysville.
- Lost by a Decision to Cale Goodman of Scott Community.
195 lbs. – Tanner Luttig (30-9) finished 4-1 and placed 3rd
- Had a bye.
- Won by a Fall over Sam Logan of Nickerson.
- Lost by a Fall to Hagan Booi of Colby.
- Won by a Fall over Jeffery Nix of Scott Community.
- Won by a Fall over Colby Mohr of Abilene.
220 lbs. – LeRoy Bean (12-22) finished 1-2
- Won by a Fall Forfeit.
- Lost by a Fall to Jack Lott of Marysville.
- Lost by a Decision to Shelby Giersch of Concordia.
(Post is SPONSORED by CrossDove Writers)