BEWARE OF DISTRACTED DRIVING!
Traffic Stop Tuesday Postings are presented by the McPherson Police Department
This Tuesday they are talking about ‘DISTRACTED DRIVING’.
In this week’s TRAFFIC STOP TUESDAY, we will discuss DISTRACTED DRIVING!
Distracted driving can include many activities such as manipulating your cell phone, adjusting the radio, applying makeup, eating, or drinking!
All these activities may seem harmless on the surface, but behind the wheel they can be deadly.
According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration from 2012 to 2017, nearly 20,000 people died in distracted driving related crashes!
Standard Traffic Ordinance, Section 126.2 (The Use of Wireless Communication Devices) states that no person shall operate a motor vehicle on a public road or highway while using a wireless communications device to write, send or read a written communication. This shall not apply to the following circumstances:
- The motor vehicle is stopped off the regular traveled roadway.
- A person who reads, selects or enters a telephone number for the purpose of making or receiving a phone call.
- A person who receives an emergency, traffic or weather alert message.
- A person receiving a message related to the operation or navigation of the motor vehicle.
- A law enforcement officer or emergency service personnel acting within the course and sope of the law enforcement officers or emergency service personnel’s employment.
Please consider the following tips from the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration:
- If you must send or receive a text – pull over to a safe location and park your car first.
- If you have passengers, appoint a ‘designated texter’ to handle all your texting.
- If you can’t resist the temptation to look at it, resolve to keep your phone in the trunk.