By William for www.mcpherson-county-ks.com
CANTON – It will be a one pony show for the Canton/Galva cross country team this fall as they have just one runner out with just a couple of weeks heading into the 2022 season.
Beginning his 18th season as the leader of the Eagle program, coach Lyle Silsby will be counting on his son Garrett Silsby to represent Canton/Galva on the cross-country courses in 2022.
For the past four seasons the Eagles have been riding the successes of Christian Darrah and Morgan Becker, both who have now graduated after Darrah placed second and Becker finished thirteenth at the 2021 state meet. Also graduating was Ethan Alkire.
“For now, unless someone decides to come out at the last minute, we will have but one runner this season,” pointed out coach Silsby. “Garrett (Silsby) is just a sophomore and had a pretty good freshman season. His best time was 20:50 and he did finish 32nd at the regionals in 2021. He has put the work in during the summer so we will see if he is able to improve on his efforts from last season.”
The future does find a couple of seventh graders running for the Canton/Galva junior high cross-country program in Jacob Dieker and Aaron Long.
2022 EAGLE CROSS COUNTRY SCHEDULE:
- Thursday, September 1 at Tescott
- Thursday, September 8 at Hesston
- Thursday, September 15 at Herington
- Thursday, September 22 at Marion
- Thursday, September 29 at Berean Academy
- Thursday, October 6 at Goessel in Newton
- Thursday, October 13 – Wheat State League Meet at Harvey County Lake East
- Saturday, October 22 at Regionals
- Saturday, October 29 at State Meet
(William is a free-lance writer covering McPherson County Activities – he can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org)