By Staff of www.mcpherson-county-ks.com
HESSTON – The 2022 season for the Smoky Valley girls tennis team and they managed to finish third on Wednesday at the Hesston Invitational.
Scoring 18 team points, the Lady Vikings placed third behind Invitational champion McPherson with 25 and second-place Buhler with 21.
Scoring the big victory of the day for Smoky Valley was the duo of junior Kayla Norberg and sophomore Lily Heline in number two doubles as they went 3-0 for the day and scored an invitational championship with a final match victory over Paige Stucky and Lauren Rogers of McPherson.
The Lady Viking tandem of Campbell Gaskill and Karee Adam, both seniors, placed third in number one doubles after going 2-1 for the day. Their only loss was a tough match to champion Riggs and Brodie Kuhn of McPherson.
In singles play, senior Lena Rauchholz finished third in number one singles with a 1-2 record on the day while junior Kelsee Adam placed seventh in number two singles with a 1-2 mark also.
Next up for the Lady Viking tennis team will be a road match on Tuesday, August 30 at Ellsworth.
LADY VIKINGS at Hesston Invitational:
- 1. McPherson – 25; 2. Buhler – 21; 3. LADY VIKINGS – 18; 4. Wichita Collegiate – 15; 5. Hesston – 14; 6. Wichita Trinity Academy – 12; 7. Maize South – 10; 8. Abilene – 0.
LADY VIKING RESULTS:
- # 1 SINGLES = Lena Rauchholz went 1-2 (W, L, L)and finished 3rd.
- # 2 SINGLES = Kelsee Adam went 1-2 (L, L, W) and finished 7th.
- # 1 DOUBLES = Campbell Gaskill/Karee Adam went 2-1 (W, L, W) and finished 3rd.
- # 2 DOUBLES = KAYLA NORBERG/LILY HELINE went 3-0 (W, W, W) and finished 1st.
(William is a free-lance writer covering McPherson County Activities – he can be reached at email@example.com)